Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fishing for Godot


Many who know me, know that I am an avid fly fisherman. Perhaps even obsessed about it. Particularly fishing for steelhead. Well, it has been a busy year, so busy that I missed most of the Winter steelheading opportunities that are so close to Portland. For those that don't know much about our area, we have two rivers very close to Portland, the Clackamas and the Sandy Rivers. So I finally made it out on Monday with my good friend and guide extraordinaire, Matt McCrary and his friend Tom. I have been helping Matt with photography for his new web site. By the way, if you want the best fly fishing experience, call Matt. He is the best. You can find him on the web at Action Anglers, or email me and I will get you in touch with him. By the way, we all use spey rods instead of the typical single handed fly fishing techniques. Matt hooked two fish and lost them both. A usual happening when I bring the cameras with me. Tom, hooked and landed one downriver summer steelhead. It was rather wet on Monday, but a fun day on the river. Oh, yes, I did not touch a fish. They say that steelhead are the fish if a thousand casts when you are trying to get them with a fly rod. Hence the "Fishing for Godot" title. Well, I have about 799 casts to go.


Matt McCrary waiting for a grab from Mr. Steelie.


Tom fights the lone fish landed of the day.


Coffee is a must on a cold and wet day. I hope I never see a Starbucks on the banks of the Sandy River.

Matt wading for Godot.

Matt shows off his newly found ornaments for his Christmas tree this year, courtesy of some negligent gear chuckers (okay, us fly fishermen can be a little elitist about our sport, and that is why we sometimes make fun of gear and bait fishermen. Hey when they leave this kind of crap on the river, they make easy targets).

No comments: